SCREEN PlateRite FX870 versus Esko Spark 2530

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

SCREEN PlateRite FX870 versus Esko Spark 2530

Postby iLabels » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 am

Hello,

Presently in our repro department we have a Thermoflex plate imaging device. We have had this machine for around eight years and it has worked well. The machine needs to be replaced and we have to decided between either the Screen device or the Esko. Although we have studied both solutions and are impressed either way, we like to get opinions from people "in the field" who are using them. People who are not in the business of selling the machines, but rather the ones who work with them or know them and are able to give their relative views.

If anyone can air their views on either the Screen or the Esko unit, I will be appreciative. We are a large pressure sensitive, wraparound and shrinksleeve label supplier to the market in South Africa. We print predominantly in UV with one machine dedicated to solvent printing. Our machines range from 10" to 22" wide and we are a flexographic printer.

Thank-you

Lorne Andersen
Production/Technical Manager
iLabels

Re: SCREEN PlateRite FX870 versus Esko Spark 2530

Postby NarrowWebGuy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Lorne,

I'll be interested to hear responses from Screen users. I've always been impressed by the company, but I've never run into one out in the field.

Out of curiosity----what front end software do you use?

-NWGuy
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
- Kurt Vonnegut
NarrowWebGuy

Postby iLabels » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am

Hi,

We use Prinergy.
iLabels

Postby juhar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 am

We bought Screen Platerite 870FX II two years ago from and we like it very much. Esko 4835 was then among at last meters.

FX870 has native 4800 dpi resolution without any addons. And we use this 4800 dpi at every job.
We make flexoplates at 1,14 and 1,7 mm and letterpress plates 0,80 mm.
Some cases we expose dryfilms for conventional plates.

We produce labels at web width 20-45 cm.
Screen 870 format fits to us.

We have two Esko's Artpro workstations, Harlequin rip, Screen Page-Fit input system for 1 bit tifs.
We use DuPont FAST DFQ plates, so we can get a new plates at 40 minutes.

We also use Screen's Flexo-Dot screening, at 150 lpi.

We didn't like Esko's way to sell options, extension optics, forced maintenance contract. It's laser technology appears to
be quite oldfeeling, very block when compare to led technology. At the Screen's price Esko was very slow.
juhar

Postby iLabels » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:19 am

Hi Juhar. Thank-you for your input on this. We have conducted an extensive study on the Screen unit as well as the Esko. Both have equal advantages and disadvantages so it is difficult to decide which one to purchase. We have a presentation tomorrow by Screen, we have already had one by Esko, then an internal meeting to decide which one is more appropriate for us.

Thank-you for your post, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Lorne
iLabels

Postby bekzodt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Lorne

Currenly we are at the same situation as you were when you posted the topic. What decision you made at that time? what can you advice for us to buy?

thank you in advance

Bekzod
bekzodt

Return to Prepress