Leftover Glue from Backing

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Leftover Glue from Backing

Postby Poonz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello, I'm pretty new to flexo printing as is my company. I was wondering what everyone uses to scrap left over glue that gets on the cylinders from the backing. Is there an easier way than to just scrape it by hand. If find sometimes I have to waste a ton of time cleaning the cylinders before mounting the next job.

Is there anyway to reduce it? or is just a product of the backing that we have to deal with.

Thanks for any help.
Poonz

Re: Leftover Glue from Backing

Postby wdustin1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 am

We fight the very same issue with our materials and what we usually do is when its time to move on to the next job soak some disposable shop towels in ethyl acetate and wrap in around the cylinder that has the adhesive glue stuck to it and let it sit while mounting and getting the next job ready. By the time you get back to press (10-15 mins) it is usually loose enough you can just wipe it right off, no scraping necessary. Also, as a preventive measure we use unscented dove body soap on the sides of the rolls and that really seems to deaden the adhesive enough so that it doesn't want to stick to the idlers or print cylinders. You will get a little soap residue that will stick but that wipes right off with a towel and a little water. Some people i have heard of spraying the sides of the rolls with silicone spray and that seems to help also with deadening the adhesive.
wdustin1

Postby Fuzz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Are you asking about glue on the print cylinders or on the impression rolls and idlers?

If you have problems with the adhesive from the sticky back staying on the cylinders then I propose using different tape. I do know Harley tape can be a pain to get off. Clean with a solvent. Other tapes I have not had any problem with.

If it's adhesive from the material onto rolls in the press. Use a solvent or some sort of adhesive remover and elbow grease. Do not scape, if possible. You could cause damage.
Fuzz

Postby longtimefan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:34 am

some have asked

idler rollers?

or from stripping plates from sticky back?

or a print sleeve that they mount a solid plate, then laser engrave the image?--we use these, and one time I had to strip it all to get to the actual sleeve. soak, soak soak.. Use those SCOTCH BRITE green scrubbers or something similar with acetate. lay scrap material down under the sleeve as you scrub..

if you have those blue or black sleeves try to make sure you clean really good before laying sticky back

We use Tesa--have tried 3m, and Lohman
longtimefan

Return to Prepress