Distortion Factor

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Distortion Factor

Postby kamyabkavianiflexo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 am

How should i calculate distortion factor in flexography press (P5 MarkAndy) with 1/8 CP?
kamyabkavianiflexo

Re: Distortion Factor

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm

View this video and I will also send you a chart and a calculator, by email.

Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby kamyabkavianiflexo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:33 am

Thank you very much Frank :wink:
kamyabkavianiflexo

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 am

You're welcome!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Omen63 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:59 am

Frank,

I have question in regards to the subject of plate distortion. Some quick information on our shop that is a little different from any other shop that I have worked is we are actually making our own stock. Normally we would bound our face stock to the liner and then run through the press as normal, however we are currently doing some R&D work with some back print on BOPP (historically a paper only facility). Here is the catch the BOPP that we are back printing on is 38 micron and is being printed unsupported on our Mark Andy. We are then bounding it to the liner is a separate process and attempting to register the face print to the back print.

We have seen that the print repeats on both the front and back print are measuring 1" as they should, however as the runs we are measurably loosing the registration between the front and back print. I am wondering if this might have something to do with the plates for the back print requiring a different distortion value from the front plates since the front is now printing on 4mil stock after the adhesive and liner have been applied to the face stock. Does this make sense or am I grasping at straws here? I would love to hear your thought or opinion on this.
Omen63

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:08 am

Hi Omen63,

Welcome to the Break Room!

You are brainstorming, not grasping at straws. I like your line of thinking, but you can eliminate distortion as a contributor to your challenges.

If it was distortion, you would see misregister within each repeat, but the overall repeats would remain in register. What you are probably seeing is the phasing out of registration because it is absolutely impossible to reregister without the aid of some sort of dedicated servo set-up or other mechanism that reads eye marks of the previous pass to the print of the new pass.

If you are using dedicated reregistration technology, I’d need to know more. If you are not, forget it. It will not happen.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Omen63 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 am

Frank,

Thank you for the welcome and the fast response. The current press that we are running is an old gear driven dinosaur. However this does still give us hope, as we should be able to complete the print in a single pass on the unsupported face stock on the press and use our lamination equipment to do the die cut utilizing an eye-mark. This will still achieve the goal of putting the back print on the stock prior to the adhesive application.
Omen63

Postby Frank Burgos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Cool.

I've operated a lot of gear-driven dinosaurs. I feel like one.

Have a great weekend!

Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Return to Pressroom