Process Printing sequence....

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Process Printing sequence....

Postby OneWithThePress » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:35 am

Just thought it was the right thing to do, to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

I was taught YMCK.

About 5 years ago I saw this thread. I had been running YMCK for 7 years and never tried anything else.

At the time, I was working a job where I had my own press, and I ordered materials and ran it as I saw fit. I was given an order from a customer, and it was my responsibility to make sure the customer got what they wanted, and I could do it any way that I desired with no external controls placed on me.

I took a shot at CMYK and right away I was sold, for several reasons.

1. Adhesion - Every water based ink I have experience with throughout my career - yellow adheres better to cyan than cyan adhering to yellow.

2. Waste Reduction - Any PRESSMAN will find that it is much easier to register 'magenta to cyan, and yellow to magenta and cyan' vs. 'back registering yellow to magenta and then cyan on top'.

- HINT - Yellow sticks out very predominantly with a cyan background (blue vs green)

3. Color Reproduction - Because the water based yellow adheres to the cyan far better, it will be much easier to reproduce a process image that matches what you ran previously. Environmental factors are much less of a challenge.

4. Coverage Simplification - I no longer had to worry about anilox consideration with my combo green screen/type/solid coverage applications. The ink adhered so well, I could print all three without having any density issues in the solid green patches, and it was much simpler to control the ink viscosity to suit.

There is one negative aspect to switching, as has been highlighted above:

The process image, in applications with heavy yellow/cyan mixes, WILL NOT MATCH how you ran it with YMCK.

-Especially where green/violet/very powerful (reflex type) colors are included, the reproduction of CMYK will be much more "vivid". Which, IMHO, is a good problem to have.

These cases will require color matching.

But you will not regret the upfront effort required to do so.

However -

Reds without both yellow and blue were largely unaffected for me.

I never found a job previously done in YMCK that I was unable to reproduce with alterations to the strengths of my Cyan and Yellow inks in order to print in CMYK.

Unfortunately, I am now at a new job, and I no longer have the ability to make these sort of choices. I now run only UV, and I have never had a chance to try out CMYK with UV inks, so my comments should only be taken at face value for water based inks ONLY.

Also, just for reference, I never had the chance to try moving K around, because I almost always had to overprint the black.
OneWithThePress

Postby Buck from N.C. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 am

I'll vouch for CMYK also! :smile: Also,some guys at work started running KCMY. In my experience, laying the cyan down first and black last gives a much cleaner and crisper image.
Buck from N.C.

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 am

Great stuff. Thanks.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby guy de cafmeyer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 am

Just for info ; if you have not calibrated your proofer to match print result , then I would personally print in the sequence which gives you the closest match - print to proof . Then I would make that the standard , so that when the sales guys have proofs approved , the print guys are reasonably able to match .. make sense ? Cheers
guy de cafmeyer

Previous

Return to Pressroom