Drive shaft extensions for a Mark Andy?

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Drive shaft extensions for a Mark Andy?

Postby aengel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:21 pm

I would like to add 2 or 3 drive shaft extensions to a Mark Andy inline press. I would like to separate a couple of the print stations with 8 foot drive shaft extensions, or separate the rewind station, die station, or sheeting stations.

A crude drawing of a Mark Andy with drive shaft extensions follows this post. Please click on the drawing and use the scroll bars to view the entire drawing.

Have you ever tried to add a 25 foot extension to the drive shaft of an inline press?

Could you refer me to any technical articles about doing so?

Can you suggest any similar installations in other types of shaft driven equipment?

Is it as simple as simply buying a long "precision shaft" ? I can buy an 8 foot precision shaft for under $100.00.http://www.mcmaster.com/#precision-shafts/=bj5u60

As you know, a Mark Andy shaft connector is comprised of only set screws and keyways.

A drawing of the standard coupler for a Mark Andy follows in the click box at the bottom of this post. Move within the image area to reveal the image below.

Luckily, I do not anticipate running the Mark Andy at speeds over 60 feet per minute.

I will hire a professional to laser align the press.

Could you indicate the optimum choice for shaft couplings? Here are some types of shaft couplings :

Bushings, Hubs, Couplings & Torque Limiters 1031
Rigid Shaft Couplings 1160, 1161, 1162
Rigid & Flexible Shaft Couplings 1163
Flexible Shaft Couplings 1164, 1165, 1166, 1167, 1168
U-Joints 1169, 1170
U-Joints & Flexible Drive Shafts 1171
Ball Joint Rod Ends 1173, 1174, 1175

Rod Ends 1176
Solid Rod Ends 1177
Solid Rod Ends & Blanks 1178
Solid & Clevis Rod Ends 1179
Clevis Rod Ends & Clevises 1180
Ball Joint Linkages

Here is the link to shaft couplings :http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-couplings/=bj5who

Thank you for your invaluable advice *

Thank you,
Allen Engel
Seattle Washington area

The following drawing is Copyright Mark Andy All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this drawing is governed by the Fair Use Clause of the Copyright Act of the United States. I am grateful to the fine manufacturers and distributors of flexographic equipment for their continuous and high quality technical support of their equipment.
Attachments
mark andy extension drawing.jpg
mark andy extension drawing.jpg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
mark andy coupler.jpg
mark andy coupler.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
aengel

Return to Pressroom