Re: Process Printing sequence....

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks, loco.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby sickofprinting » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:49 pm

@labelcowboy
I took your advice on a 4c process job yesterday.
It was a repeat job, ran for years ymck.
I wanted to try cmyk.
I had to sneak the inks into the press during lunch. this is a very covert operation you see.
This time I was the enemy of my fellow pressman.

This job is heavy in yellow/orange tones with some blue text and gradients.
It prints on white BOPP.
I must say you're correct. cmyk looked much better. No trapping issues at all.
The colors were very close to previous samples.
I'm sold!

Of course I got caught.
We had a meeting with the owner plant manager and quality control.
We'll see what happens Monday.
sickofprinting

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 am

@sickofprinting
How come sometimes it comes down to covert operations to improve things?

My observations:
1. Because it wasn't the bosses idea,it's not a good idea
2. Because we have always done it a certain way ,since Adam was a cowboy ,it must be the best way
3. Because our most experienced printer (assumed by the bosses) doesn't back the idea,again it's a bad idea.

I've been part of a covert operation where we couldn't go any further as we needed more time and had to involve maintenance to do adjustments.
We had to eventually can it.

I've also been part of another operation, which in the end, our company made a standard operating procedure (lol)

This could be a new thread Frank, "Covert operations and their results"

Cheers all,

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby sickofprinting » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:29 am

Your observations are similar to mine.

In some shops, its a pressman or pressmen.
If someone tries something that differs from what the others do, the others get all upset and offended.
This usually happens in plants where the plant manager has little flexo experience himself/herself.
It turns into a democracy, where the one trying to improve things loses.

It all comes down to owner/managements attitude.
sickofprinting

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

@sickofprinting

Agreed, I've seen your scenario also.

Cheers
Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby flexo.uk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

So very true! Another thing that makes flexo world wide, the dislike of change...
You can only improve by trying, problem is, most places don't like change. I travel the world and teach flexo,my view is that you learn every day. There's no right way or wrong way, just ways to learn and improve.
flexo.uk

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 am

Man oh man.

I feel it, guys. I'm out there, too.

There's more to continuous improvement than just learning and executing the concepts. The culture has to be conducive, and in most cases, it is not. Period. There are a bunch of folks working 8 hours for a check, and "please don't take us out of our comfort zone. I once actually had a couple of people corner me and tell me to slow down; I was going to raise their quota!

I was talking to an associate of mine last week. He is active on this forum, in fact. One of the things I shared with him was that in all of my career, I have been a part of only a couple of teams that had it right, from ownership to the folks that mopped the floors. We were serious teams, and kicked a**. Two out of perhaps 10 plants.

It ain't easy having ideas in some environments. That said, it places a challenge on us all to learn how to be diplomats, leaders, salesmen, and fighters. Those traits go a long way in all aspects of life, so look at it from that perspective and it gets easier!

Have a great week!

Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Fuzz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm

R and D. If you have the time to do it. Do it.(most shops don't) Document everything that was done and the results achived. It should be meaningful documentation, and you better be able to reproduce it, so do it more then once. Show your managers the results. If they don't get back to yo,u ask what became of it. If it works, why not write an SOP? Because some stubborn operator doesn't want to follow them? A lot of my customers are requiring them?
BTW...there are alot of BAD press operators. They're the most stuborn of all with really bad ideas that are not well thought out!
Guess theres no need for management and procedures, the place will run itself....till it doesn't! Oh, this FIRST stuff is a bunch of crap too.
Sorry for the rant, but i've seen so much poorly thought out crap......Work with your managers they are not your enemies, they really do want to help.
Fuzz

Postby Fuzz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

One more thing, CMYK rocks, everyone should try.
Fuzz

Postby anilei » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:50 am

sickofprinting wrote:@labelcowboy
I took your advice on a 4c process job yesterday.
It was a repeat job, ran for years ymck.
I wanted to try cmyk.
I had to sneak the inks into the press during lunch. this is a very covert operation you see.
This time I was the enemy of my fellow pressman.

This job is heavy in yellow/orange tones with some blue text and gradients.
It prints on white BOPP.
I must say you're correct. cmyk looked much better. No trapping issues at all.
The colors were very close to previous samples.
I'm sold!

Of course I got caught.
We had a meeting with the owner plant manager and quality control.
We'll see what happens Monday.
inks
and i just deleted my long reply.errr i did the same job last week and i must say that you are right because the job was really heavvy in the yellow and orange tones but mine was more on the orange toms with bits of blue text and some gradients.. and thus CMYK could have looked so much better because it does not have the trapping issues.. i wasted a couple of inks in the process..
Last edited by anilei on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
anilei

Postby Labelcowboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 am

Glad to hear that you were pleased with the results!
Again if you read my original post on this subject i said "i only tried it reluctantly" like most operators i wasnt open to change untill i saw the results myself.....i changed my thinking instantly and i hope i havent changed back!
So it was somebodys great idea, just not mine.
Cheers all!
Labelcowboy

Postby VinoPressOperator » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 am

I tried the cmyk on a job about a month ago. I ran the same aniloxes in the same colors, just moved my inks from ymck to cmyk. The job is a repeat wine label that is a forest scene.

Im not sure why but the label came out very green. I probably could have played around with aniloxes but i was pressed for time. However i did like the fact that it was a whole lot easier to register to the cyan compared to yellow. I may switch to cmyk with new process jobs and leave my repeat jobs alone.
VinoPressOperator

Postby colbyc36 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 am

:?: Greetings Gents,
Interesting subject here. Historically, I have had the most experience with surface print on film. I have been to plants that do reverse as well. I am at a plant now that is 100% paper, and is currently installing a brand new MiraFlex with the intention of reverse printing on film later to be laminated to paper substrate.
In all of the plants I have been in...I have never seen anyone split their process colors up so much. Its an 8 color CI press...and they run it Y in 1, C in 4, M in 5, and K in 8, with line colors distributed in between.
In my past experience in regards to reverse print...I have noticed that it is best to lay your CMYK down first (i.e. decks 1,2,3,4) and then come in behind those with progressivly higher anilox volumes (depending on trap) for lines to avoid picking. Am I wrong?
Thanks in advance.
colbyc36

Postby guy de cafmeyer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 am

The most important issue is to standardise what you do .. The most common winners of wide web flexo awards seem to print Y M C K . One can change sequence , but this is only done to manipulate an outcome for more of this - or - that colour . . .
guy de cafmeyer

Postby longtimefan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:09 am

Very odd indeed.. CI 10 color wide Web.

All surface print. we used to do mcky, but black would pick off onto yellow.
longtimefan

PreviousNext

Return to Pressroom