Air bubbles under mounted plates

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Air bubbles under mounted plates

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 am

Hi
Our mounters mount loads of plates everyday and invariably miss spotting the occasional air bubble they have created.Air bubbles can be hard to spot under polymer plates sometimes and I was wondering if there is a product of some sort that can be sprayed on the underside of the plate or on the mounting tape that makes air bubbles stand out.Maybe there is something else.Your thoughts please
Please don't reply with use plate rollers or tell the mounters to mount properly.Because they do it's just that sometimes there are human errors.I'm looking for a visual aid I think?

Thanks in advance
Gorilla Printer

Re: Air bubbles under mounted plates

Postby richflexo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi GP,

I was a plate mounter at one time and mounted .250" plates on a mylar for corrugate printing. Air bubbles were inevitable and one day our tape supplier showed up with a new tape that was meant to help release the air bubbles. For the life of me while typing this I can't remember the name of the product. I'm not sure if it was a 3M or Lohmans tape. It was basically braided or had a patterned texture that helped smooth out the bubbles trapped between type and artwork. It worked as though if those patterns funnelled the air out to the edges. If I can think of it, or if I still have the suppliers contact phone number I'll ask him on Monday. It would have been a .015" tape, I'm not sure if they came with .010 or .005".

rf
richflexo

Postby Fuzz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:22 pm

That would be the 3M E series tapes.
Fuzz

Postby richflexo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi,

I found out what the tape was called, its 3M 2205 DL.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1575 ... e-2205.pdf

The supplier gave me a price but also said its really meant for corrugate mounting to PVC sleeves, which is what I used it for back in the day. Wouldn't hurt to call up your local supplier and see what they think if you are mounting it to fibreglass sleeves or bare cylinders.

Hope that helps!
richflexo

Postby Gorilla Printer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Fuzz/Richflexo
I will follow up.
You know as years go by some things never change.I became part of this Forum when I was a struggling apprentice and you guys helped out.
I am so appreciative.
Thank you so much for taking the time to again put your thoughts to print!Coincidently I was talking to our 3m guy about this yesterday ,he said he would ask his colleagues and get back to me.
Lol,you would think he should have known?
As always guys - much respect.I must look through your posts to see if I can help out.
Oh and shout out to FRANK for this awesome forum.And while I'm at it SKINNY RUSSIAN HILLBILLY! it's been awhile mate.
If anyone has anymore thoughts please feel free contribute

Kind Regards
Gorilla Printer
Gorilla Printer

Postby richflexo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Glad to help where and when I can.
richflexo

Postby longtimefan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 pm

How about a bondo squeegee... Use it to smooth out the tape before laying tape..

Also I notice wiping sleeve or cylinder down with acetate helps taoe stick better
longtimefan

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 am

Update: Out of respect for everyone's help, It's a bit embarrassing but our 3M supplier has told me the E-series tape we currently use has microchannels.
@Longtimefan our guys do wipe cylinders with acetate already but I find your bondo squeegee idea interesting.
It looks like at the end of the day it's about the guys consistently laying the plates right.

GP
Gorilla Printer

Return to Pressroom