Ink leftovers

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Ink leftovers

Postby barb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi guys!

I'm currently in a situation where I have about 60-70 smaller buckets of leftover ink which is not defined by Pantone neither is it weighted and I need to get rid of them as quick as possible. :x

We've sorted them by tones so we mostly have buckets of blue, green, red, brown and beige.
Well, I'd like to know your opinion or advice if it's a better way to use a spectrometer and try to define them by Pantone and then try to re-use them or if it's maybe doable to dump all the similar tones in one big bucket and then try to use them as a 'base' ink?

Hint: I would reeeeally like for the second idea to work :smile:
barb

Re: Ink leftovers

Postby Fuzz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 am

You can tone it into a blackish color using black base pigment. I have done it. It requires a lot of base black and it never gets real dark. so it depends on your applications.
Fuzz

Postby Gory » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Either;

have your ink guy or girl pull a proof of each one, stick it to the bucket, and next time you have something close to that color, have him or her tone it to suit.

Put all the buckets of each color family into one container (blues, reds, greens...), mix, proof and tone it for anything similar coming up - you could go further by separating each color into 'clean shade ' and 'dirty shade' containers, would probably work off quicker that way.

Throw it all in one container, mix 50:50 with black and use where you have black text only, less noticeable that way, normally looks poopy for line work - although depending on the jobs you do it could hang around forever.

One thing to be wary of, if you use different ink systems (lamination, surface, paper, foil..) keep them separated by type, otherwise the proverbial can of worms will be opened.
Gory

Postby barb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Gory thanks a bunch!!

I'll go with mixing them by the tone, I think that's the most suitable solution for what I need.
I'm just thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe take 1kg of each blue and first try to mix it in a smaller bucket and then see if it looks good - mix the rest.

Good thing you've mentioned ink systems, I'll ask the operators for help with that.

One thing also - how do you do a correct proof of the color? They showed me a technique with some rubber pad and metal stick but I'm kinda sceptic of how accurate that is? (I'm learning to be the 'ink girl' :smile: )
barb

Postby TexMaintMan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

chunk it all and develop a better system from the beginning... lol
TexMaintMan

Postby barb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Not a better system, just system. There was no system until now :smile:
barb

Postby Gory » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 am

the rubber pad and metal stick sounds like wire wound rods (Meyer, K-coaters and a few others come to mind) - they would generally use a different wire size for different anilox volume correlation. I've seen a bunch of different ways to proof ink over the years, from very manual to very automated - the rods are not too terrible IF they correlate to the press. Try a little experiment, take some ink out of the press that is running today, and a print sample from the same press, at the same time (more or less) then proof the ink with the 'rod and rubber pad' method, on the same substrate the press is printing on - if they look the same, or darned close - the method works, if they do not, the proofing method needs to be re-evaluated.
Good luck
Gory

Postby barb » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 am

Googled it - yup that's it!
Thank you for the explanation and the advice..
barb

Return to Pressroom