Odd Plate Screen

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Odd Plate Screen

Postby Grakson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I've been seeing some inconsistent screens happening on designs that we've been running our our W&D Flexo press. I typically add a 1% screen of all process colors in either Photoshop or InDesign to help account for a drop rather than using a bump curve. It helps me to control the amount of ink going down manually in the design process. Recently our envelopes have started to show this odd pattern showing up on the envelopes. Removing the 1% screen at times helps and other times it doesn't. My personal opinion is that something in production has changed or needs to have maintenance done: 1) Lasers in the image, 2) Brushes in the washing unit that cleans the plates, 3) Cleaning the Anilox rollers, etc. Production seems to think everything is fine on their end and I need to stop doing the 1% screen; however, I've been doing it this way for over 6 years, and it's been our way of controlling drop-off on the plates. Up until recently it's been fine, but now within the past 6-8 months I'm having this pattern showing up in the plates. Any thoughts out there as to what this pattern is, recommendations on how to resolve the issue? I'm open to the groups thoughts. Attached you'll find a picture of one of the piece we printed showing the screen. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 144 times
Grakson

Re: Odd Plate Screen

Postby longtimefan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Plate supplier contacted and verified their process is right? Mounting tape? Sleeves or cylinders right?

Ink supplier?

Blades?

Anikoxes clean?
longtimefan

Re: Odd Plate Screen

Postby richflexo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 am

Is the area you are talking about to the right? It’s reallt difficult to see what you are describing from that photo but is it happening in all channels? It looks like just black is having the issue.

Are you making your plates internally? If you are, take a look at the 1% and see what kind of dots are forming and at what pixel size.

If you can add some more info like substrate, plate type, LPI, model of W&H; that would help.

In terms of doing an audit in your prepress. Things like stain tests with your cdi is an easy check but you’d probably see problems across the board and not your highlights if something is off.

Can you upload a photo of the problem area at higher magnification to see the dots?
richflexo

Return to Pressroom