DuPont FAST Tape

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

DuPont FAST Tape

Postby RyanEastwood » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 am

I have had a few customers complaining about not being able to stick the edges of a DuPont FAST plate down. Is there anyone else familiar with this problem and if so, what do I suggest to get around it? At the moment, its turning into an expensive Coffee table!
RyanEastwood

Re: DuPont FAST Tape

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 am

The reason probably is that the non-woven material used to wick away unexposed polymer using the Cyrel Fast system creates a texture on the floor of the plates (on dots, too). This gives the hold-down tape less plate surface to contact and adhere to.

3M sells a primer for the plates to adhere to tape better. I've never tried it on the floor of the plate, nor have I heard of it done, but it might be worth a shot. It's a small, marker'like device with a swab at the end.

Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:24 am

Ryan. I think I misread. I thought you were talking about taping down the edges. I'll leave the previous post, for the information it provides. It may become relevant.

I've not heard of a specific problem with Fast plates not sticking to the tape, but I don't question it. I'll be generic.

There's a plate property called "drape", which is how easily a plate will simply drape over a curved surface. I'm sure drape varies among plate manufacturers, thicknesses, etc.

assuming the plates have "poor" drape, or are relatively rigid, they will want to pop up, especially smaller repeats. The options there are primer at plate edges, some folks use black Marko makers to prime edges, tape to hold down the edges, or mounting tape with the same properties but higher adhesion on the plate side. Some tape suppliers offer these variants.

Hope it help a little!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby richflexo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 am

Yes, this is a common problem especially on tight cylinders. FAST plates have horrible drape and are notorious for this. But that pen Frank mentions should do the trick.

Is this narrow or wide web? Are you using DFR or DFM? Are you able to switch to EFX or EXE? Thats the new flat top EASY plate they make. (the drape is way better)

The other problem could be you had a bad batch of plates. If it has happened all at once within the same few days or weeks. I'd find out what box those plates came from and contact your rep ASAP so they can do a QC report for you. Chances are they will probably replace it for free to help with the replates.
richflexo

Postby JSL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

Hot glue. Those small craft hot glue guns work very well for holding plates down when dealing with a small repeat. Starting at one end, slowly run the nozzle of the glue gun pushing forward through the gap. with some practice you will find the amount of glue in the gap be easily controlled and a nearly perfect "weld" can be accomplished. It seals the ends very well and when done the glue peels off cleanly.
JSL

Postby Dekker123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am

I've had the same issues when using Tessa 67th steelmaster mounting tape. Was then issued with what I would say was an adhesive pen similar to a large marker. This helped with keeping the edges down. We then changed tape supplier too 3m - 13 series & completely eliminated the problem ..

Good luck !
Dekker123

Postby longtimefan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Dekker123 wrote:I've had the same issues when using Tessa 67th steelmaster mounting tape. Was then issued with what I would say was an adhesive pen similar to a large marker. This helped with keeping the edges down. We then changed tape supplier too 3m - 13 series & completely eliminated the problem ..

Good luck !

how does the plate release from the tape? strips easy?
longtimefan

Postby Dekker123 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 am

Yes plate strips easy & the 3m is very consistent with regards to adhesion ..
Dekker123

Return to Pressroom