Pinholing White

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Pinholing White

Postby bighead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:12 am

Not sure if this is the right area for this question but here goes. I run a bread bag jog big white panel about 33" wide 18"-22" repeat 2 around. On the white the boss man has mounting mount it with a 1060 soft stickyback(pinholes really bad) all the other colors on the 1020. He said he does this otherwise you get really bad bouncing in the white. I said why dont we try too use the .040 (thats supposed to be 40 thousands not sure if decimals right) build up then use the regular 1020 this would give it a stronger backing taking away the pinholing. Or just mount it on the correct sleeve and let me try it so i can see for myself The boss wont let me try this. Was wondering if any body has had issues like this. This is on a PCMC sleeved geerless servo driven press.

P.S. Frank I checked out ugly flexo nicely done!!!
bighead

Re: Pinholing White

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:37 am

Hey Bighead!

Thanks for the kind remark regarding Ugly Flexo. I appreciate it.

This area is perfectly appropriate for your question.

I just uploaded a 3-part video set called "Pinholing on Thin Gauge Film", parts 1,2, and 3, which reply to question sent by a friend via email. I discuss some other possible causes of pinholing that occurred to me.

However, I did not discuss mounting tape, and I definitely want to talk about that. Your question is one I want to toss out some thoughts on by video. As long as I’m on the subject, I think I’ll add to it to keep the videos together. I’ll do it as soon as I can.

Regards,
Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby bighead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 am

300 6.0 so i'm putting plenty of ink down I tried a 250 with no better results.
bighead

Pinholes

Postby inkman67 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Bighead
Is this water or solventbase ink, either or check with your supplier for ideas also, they may have additives that will help, I know they are out there for waterbase unsure of solvent. Are you corona treating and is the dyne level ok.
inkman67

Postby bighead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Solvent Based ink treat level is 40-42 dyne as far as additives weve tried a little n.p. alchohol little glycol process extender all these different additives were done on different kits of inks with my ink man monitoring the ink.
bighead

Re: Pinholing white

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Hey fellas,

I've made a video response to bighead, which I've grouped with other videos expressing a few thoughts on pinholing in reply to another question. The videos are below. I'm trying to gruop videos into one player, but I still haven't figured it out, so the video players are stacked above one another. Parts 1, 2, and 3 are in response to a different but related question, and Parts 4 and 5 are in response to this thread, so skip to them or view the others, as you prefer.

Regards,
Frank

Dear Sir,

Happy Diwali & New year.

In CI flexo,we print white on natural 50micron PE using 100/12 lcm/cm3/m2 anilox. in this condition we are facing pinholing problem in white.

Kindly give me suggestion to remove pinholing .

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Ketan Panchal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ucqbpiwgk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CvctzPMLmM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7_iNurW7hs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnwyCKVXbsc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByogTBvQGU[/youtube]
Last edited by Frank Burgos on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby bighead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Frank
Yeah rubber plates been there done that dont miss it one bit. I have been with this company for 8 months so there is no bad vibe between me and the bossman no bad reputation at company I have a really good one actually(by the way they just let this boss go today so hopefully the new boss will be more objective than subjective) I have never and never will disrespect my bosses because I have been in there shoes a couple of times so I know the pressures there under. Anyway I already have had a game plan on how I was going to go about my test and show him the difference between the 2 mounting tapes will explain more if you want. The bounce factor calculation you spoke of sounds really interesting.I would do the ugly flexo thing (but I dont know if you need a camcorder or what not to good on the computer thing thats my wifes thing )so I could show you the actual bag and not send a long response out but this is all I got so here it is. Thanks for the quick responses!!!!!!
bighead
bighead

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Hey bighead,

You are welcome.

Reflecting on it, I didn't have the suspicion, while I spoke, that you did have a problem with the boss. I felt neutral about it. However, when I do the ugly thing, I do try to be as generic as possible.

I have no doubt there lots of folks frustrated by a lack of outlet for their ideas, in flexo and other industries. Among them, there are those that may have or will get in their bosses face, or badmouth their boss behind his back, or something like that, very soon. We've all seen them. I'm sharing my perspective with those folks, as well. Maybe one or two will think again before doing or saying something they'll regret.

I sometimes feel a little concerned that folks might feel excluded by my ready use of video on this forum. I hope that never is the case. Writing is still a great way to do this. However, I think there a tremendous value to video that we have to take advantage of. All are welcome, as early or as late as they like. If you do want to do a video some day, and you need guidance, please feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Return to Pressroom