Best apex gtt for high solid coating on PP and PE films

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Best apex gtt for high solid coating on PP and PE films

Postby jmacina » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I have always got a lot of good info from this forum, but never posted anything.

I currently apply an active thermal ink to paper to make it into POS thermal paper using a wide web flexo (1215mm) and for that task I use an Apex Gtt XL custom made to be around 15 BCM. I get an ink transfer ratio of around 9g/m2 wet. Anilox applies the ink to a rubber roller and that roller applies it to the paper.

Now I have the task of making thermal BOPP and PE films and of course my current anilox applies too much ink and I get a mottled (orange peel) effect plus ink accumulates between the anilox and rubber roller. Besides the ink not drying properly.

I have a 300 LPI chrome anilox stashed away at around 6-7BCM (bought it used with my machine and can't guarantee the BCM info) and it applies the ink in a very good manner being that my dryer takes care of the job, but I need to run it 20x on my single bump machine.

I know I need to get this old anilox reengraved but I am not sure what profile I should go for.

The Apex salesman says to go with M profile that I would probably get good density with 2 hits.

The thermal ink I make usually has between 30 to 40% solids and to get a decent image I need from 3-4g dry

I am looking for anyone that prints high opaque whites onto films and if they use the GTT what profile do they use.

Thanks for the help.

JM
jmacina

Re: Best apex gtt for high solid coating on PP and PE films

Postby Gory » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Apex S = approx. 2.2 BCM hex equivalent
Apex M = approx. 4.5 BCM
Apex L = approx. 7.8 BCM

that's my take on them, without knowing your coating and its transfer characteristics I cannot make a recommendation as to which will suit your application.

Does your ink manufacturer have a recommendation for anilox volume to apply their product? They will have the most experience with their own product, or at least should.
Gory

Re: Best apex gtt for high solid coating on PP and PE films

Postby jmacina » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Gory wrote:Apex S = approx. 2.2 BCM hex equivalent
Apex M = approx. 4.5 BCM
Apex L = approx. 7.8 BCM

that's my take on them, without knowing your coating and its transfer characteristics I cannot make a recommendation as to which will suit your application.

Does your ink manufacturer have a recommendation for anilox volume to apply their product? They will have the most experience with their own product, or at least should.

Thanks Gory, unfortunately I make my own ink in a kind of artisanal way. For paper I have got it spot on already, but since I am new to films I am having some trouble and also want to make sure that the M profile would be OK before spending money to get it re-engraved.
jmacina

Return to Pressroom