How best to achieve raised images/text?

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

How best to achieve raised images/text?

Postby Lew107 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I’m struggling to find any detail.

If possible I would like some advice on how best to achieve spot raised images/text on a label without any embossing or screen capability.

We have recently been fairly successful in trailing an ultra matt varnish to create the textured/sandpaper type feel by using a specific anilox. However, we now want to be able to produce a label that incorporates a raised image that stands out from the base substrate.

I have an enquiry at present that uses a silver polyprop material with the sandpaper type varnish, which is fine. However, the main logo is also raised and stands out above the varnish. It doesn’t look like it has a varnish applied so am wondering whether it’s a specific tactile type ink instead?

In general I just wanted to get a feel for how others go about producing flexo produced labels that require raised images? What inks, varnishes, aniloxs are used? Does the machine speed or printing plate make a difference etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Lewis
Lew107

Re: How best to achieve raised images/text?

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 am

Hi Lewis,

Per your final statements, I'll stick to coating/anilox.

I ran into a situation where the raised image was highly tactile. The anilox was shockingly low in line-count / high in volume, but I don't recall the specifics. I lean towards the anilox being 70-lpi, but 30-lpi comes to mind, which I don't think is the case. let's say 70.

The coating was special, too.

Hopefully someone has more solid advice. In the meantime, I would reach out to anilox manufacturers and ink/coating companies. There are only a handful and they're at the front line of those things.

I would also reach out to the folks at Clemson, Flexo Trade Services, Flexographic Tech, in Minneapolis and other institutions where anilox and coating folks conduct R&D.

Unless you cut sheets at delivery, I wouldn't think thermal inks that expand with heat apply, but I mention it.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Leadpress » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:25 am

Lewis, Frank is absolutely correct. I also have one thing to add; I use Pyramid coating, which I get from Zeller Inks. I have a plate made with all of the information I need to be raised and VOALA!! I use a 100 line anilox with a 20.0 BCM. Hope this helps.
Leadpress

Postby Lew107 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Thank you both for your replies, I'll be sure to check this out!

I deal with Zeller already so that's a good start.

Thanks again,
Lewis
Lew107

Postby Fuzz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

I know this is going to sound ridiculous. I was told a long time ago I had to use about 75 bcm roll to do this. So, I purchased a 30 line 75 bcm. (that's right 30 line) We too use the pyramid. We get a very heavy image but not always that clean. Use's a lot of coating. I would think that 70 to 100 line in the 25 bcm range would work really nice and it sounds like Leadpress guy just verified that.
Fuzz

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:39 pm

You got my memory going, Fuzz. I think the configuration I saw was 70-lpi, 30 BCM.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Leadpress » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Fuzz, yes! Too heavy.
Leadpress

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Just stumbled on information about "relief lacquers."

https://www.siegwerk.com/en/news/insigh ... art-1.html
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby wdustin1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 am

We have also just started playing around with this, i get an ink from Flint Group called tactile varnish, not sure of the item number. We used a "Z" cut anilox with a 55 BCM and got really good results, depending on the image you really have to play around with the surface tension, weather it bleeds to fast or too slow, to get the look you want. We have gotten a pretty good results that our customer really liked. Of course its nothing compared to embossing but a mere fraction of the cost. The advice i got from flint was to keep the artwork on the varnish as simple and vague as possible
wdustin1

Return to Pressroom