Tips/Tricks - Flexographic Mastery.

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Tips/Tricks - Flexographic Mastery.

Postby wdustin1 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 am

I havent heard the Armorall before, how well does it work compared to silicone spray?
wdustin1

Postby Steve Mezzapella » Fri May 31, 2019 9:26 am

[quote="wdustin1"]I havent heard the Armorall before, how well does it work compared to silicone spray?[/quote

A couple of my pressman think it's the best thing since sliced bread others stick with the silicone spray. Possibly cause it takes less effort.
The armorall you wipe on with a cloth. My opinion the armorall lasts longer .
Steve Mezzapella

Postby Billyboy2 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 am

Steve Mezzapella wrote:
wdustin1 wrote:I havent heard the Armorall before, how well does it work compared to silicone spray?[/quote

A couple of my pressman think it's the best thing since sliced bread others stick with the silicone spray. Possibly cause it takes less effort.
The armorall you wipe on with a cloth. My opinion the armorall lasts longer .

Do any of you guys need to wash your plates before printing? I had a supplier tell me once that it would be a good idea for us to wrap our mounted sleeves and he said to use a little vaseline on the plate. I know for a fact that if you get petroleum jelly on your anilox it will compromise your cells and will plug it up and it's a PIA the clean. Didn't really like that idea but I really like the armor all approach. We don't wrap them at all...
Billyboy2

Postby Frank Burgos » Fri May 31, 2019 9:58 am

By the way, there is a spray that is made for this. We well it in FlexoDepot.com.

We have a few regular customers that swear by it and buy multiple cases of it at a time. Even though I sell it, I'm not sure I'd use it on process plates. I haven't used it personally, so I don't have an opinion on performance, but I am reluctant to introduce it as a variable. I's an individual thing based on the specifics of the environment, I suppose.

It's called "Flexo Spray Coat"

Long ago, I wrote Charlotte Cushing at DuPont and asked her what she thought. She advise that it may or may not react with the plate surface.

Way, way back, I operated a stack press and printed with natural runner plates. We used Armoral, all the time. Seemed to help, but it wasn't process work.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby wdustin1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Hey Frank, what is your best advice for filling in on the process plates? We have a few jobs that we fight with the magenta filling in on the plate and causing issues. i have seen others use silicone spray with little success, and now I learn about spray coat and amorall.
wdustin1

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 am

Forget the sprays. Tape, tuning, and working the ink.
Fuzz

Postby longtimefan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 am

wdustin1 wrote:Hey Frank, what is your best advice for filling in on the process plates? We have a few jobs that we fight with the magenta filling in on the plate and causing issues. i have seen others use silicone spray with little success, and now I learn about spray coat and amorall.

Type of press. Anilox? Blades?
longtimefan

Postby Gory » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am

wdustin1 wrote:Hey Frank, what is your best advice for filling in on the process plates? We have a few jobs that we fight with the magenta filling in on the plate and causing issues. i have seen others use silicone spray with little success, and now I learn about spray coat and amorall.

If it's only the Magenta, Y, C and K are ok on same aniloxes and plates, I would suggest it to be an ink issue - call your ink guys and ask why the one color is a problem and the other 3 are not. Are you running solvent, water or EC?
Gory

Postby wdustin1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:03 am

Yes i do believe that the ink itself could be to blame. Our ink supplier does not support us very well, that's why we try to work around it. U.V. ink, Apex GTT aniloxes, xtra-small and small for process work. Daetywler nickel coated blades.
wdustin1

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am

[quote="wdustin1"]Hey Frank, what is your best advice for filling in on the process plates? We have a few jobs that we fight with the magenta filling in on the plate and causing issues. i have seen others use silicone spray with little success, and now I learn about spray coat and amorall.[/quote]

Hey wdustin1,

Everywhere I go, I see excess ink getting past doctor blades due to excess blade pressure. That's one thing I'd watch for.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby donaldwal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 pm

When I get a wild hair up mine arse Ill try the silicon …… Mind you my plate mounter goes insane with greasy plates lol... Never really seen any benefit from using it though. Peronally Ive always held to it being a matter of good Impression, Quality ink and ink management ,Stock , and proper metering of ink to plate... With this being said after 32 years as a flexo inker I can kneal to one knee and say they dont call it Flexo for nothing you, have to be flexable on every job everyday and listen to someone elses ideas and be humble...
donaldwal

Postby Frank Burgos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:03 am

Hi everyone.

My best advice is to precisely control the ink properties and to meter well.

donaldwa, if you go to my FlexoExchange Facebook page (cut me slack, I'm just getting it started) and look at the page cover photo, you'll note I share your respect for Flexo.

https://www.facebook.com/FlexoExchange/
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby donaldwal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:21 pm

This product here has been a life saver for me and something I use daily. We accidently discovered this product while I was running an AquaFlex and we were experiencing a weird phenomenon with our anilox in our cyan and process black stations. The anilox had the appearance of being scored and producing very light color... The anilox we were using were Apex Small and Extra smalls and running waterbased inks. We tried everything under the sun but were convinced the anilox`s were toast.... and ordered new anolox. By the way this issue happened on both of our aquaflex presses days apart. We contacted apex, our ink suppliers ect ect but nobody seemed to know what caused it. One day a salesman appeared at our door and the Plant manager brought up the issue and the salesman said he knew exactly what it was and he had something in the car he`d like to try. He came in with a bottle of Eliminator and a mr clean cleaning pad and poof the anilox every one was pristine as the day they was made.... Camouflaging is what he called the issue... No creams no brushes just a spray bottle and a cleaning pad a 1 minute of time poof..... II use it basicly every time I change anilox for jobs....https://www.theflexofactor.com/product/eliminator/
donaldwal

Postby Leadpress » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I had a boss who tried printing a Claudes barbecue label and he couldn't get the red Claudes word to print heavy enough or vibrant enough; it kept coming out pink. He was trying to print the red on top of a yellow and the yellow would repel the red. No matter the volume of the anilox, it kept coming out pink. So I told him to print the red first, before laying down the yellow. This would soak the red into the substrate first, giving it the vibrance it needed and upon printing the yellow on the station after it, the red would actually repel the yellow from that particular word CLAUDES. I learned that in offset also, where we would print black on top of silver and it made it look grey, so we printed the black first, then the silver after, and the black looked black. One of many tricks....
Leadpress

Postby Gorilla Printer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 am

Buck from N.C. wrote:Spray silicon on screen plates. Keeps the screen clean.

Lol Buck from N.C,
I asked my supervisor to buy some armorall as I wanted to trial using it on some of our old/worn plates that tend to make it back to the press.Anyway he was hesitant to ask management so we sourced some silicon spray from maintenance.And yes it does make a difference.On our rubber primer sleeve that expands on the run and have to back off ,the silicon stopped primer building up on the sleeve floor.it also worked the same on a our old/worn white plate printing straight after.
Can't wait to experiment more.But will use only when required.
Thanks to all the guys with the tips regarding sprays.Has given me another option.

Cheers

Gorilla

PS:I'm always reading this thread and appreciate all your guys input.Keep them coming!
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorilla Printer

PreviousNext

Return to Pressroom