Have you been in a similar situation?.

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Have you been in a similar situation?.

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:50 am

Hi ,
Your running the last two rolls of a job and a splice damages one of the solid plates. Packing the damaged plate doesn't work and you have no spares. So you have to wait for 1.5 hours for a new plate to be made and proofed up.

Does anyone have another temporary fix or clever idea just to finish the job? A type of filler maybe?
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Gorilla :)

PS Please don't suggest locking out the splice which is normally what we do.The main point is finding a temporary fix -Thanks
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gorilla Printer

Re: Have you been in a similar situation?.

Postby exflexo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:31 am

Other than a back-up plate.. nope. I've seen people mess around with everything from Liquid Photopolymer to construction adhesive... it will never transfer ink the same and the "repair" area will be visible. If it is happening this often, you need to change how your are splicing or how often you are splicing.
exflexo

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:36 am

Hi Exflexo,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
You've confirmed my inner thoughts that there is no good temporary fix, other than packing the plate and hoping the "dent" isn't too obvious. This is the first time I've heard of liquid photopolymer though. The construction glue example is quite out there, but hey, I'm open minded and prepared to experiment.

Damaged plates due to splices is not a regular occurrence in my shop, it was just an example I gave.
Thanks again.: )
Gorilla Printer

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm

If the "dent" is deep no hope to repair. I've seen "smashed" plates that by changing the cushion backing saved the plate. Backing smashed not the plate. I always tried to have a one or two color job ready to go if you had to remake a plate. Save most of the set-up.
cheapthrills

Postby Gorilla Printer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:23 am

Hi Cheapthrills,

I've never tried quickly replacing the mounting tape. I usually only pack the dented spot with some of aluminium foil tape.

Funnily enough, yesterday I had to pack a damaged plate and noticed a dent in the mounting tape. I was thinking maybe I should replace it .Coincidently you have just confirmed it. Lucky packing with foil tape sufficed.

Thanks to you Cheapthrills, I have another option that will definitely be used in the future.

Your suggestion is appreciated.
Gorilla Printer

Postby flexo.uk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:22 pm

The number of times we've remade plates as theres been a "bruise" or a "low spot" in the plate only to discover that its the mounting tape thats flat is unbelievable. These days we will also remount the plate on fresh tape before remaking. I have had printers put plates into hot water before to swell the bruise or flat spot out. To what degree this works is really down to fussy you are! I've also seen people rubbing out small holes with a bit of wet and dry. Its creates a slightly lighter patch but most times seems to hide the hole. Its amazing some of the things you see, I think each printer has their own little book of tricks.
flexo.uk

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi Flexo.uk,

So in your first sentence you were saying the plate was alright but the tape had the low spot?.
Putting the plate into hot water sounds interesting. Do you drop the whole plate in or just dip in the effected area? How long would you leave it in for?
But I must admit I did have a giggle about using the wet and dry. That seems near bordering on “cowboyism” (lol). Mind you I won't knock it until I've tried it .I wonder how deep the pinholes would be before it's not worth sanding? I can understand the "light patch" that would be created because sometimes when a solid plate has been over packed it creates a darker patch in the image.

Thanks Flexo.uk for input

I will be trying them out : )
Gorilla Printer

Postby flexo.uk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 pm

The wet and dry is really out there and not one I'd do myself. A folded piece of tape under the hole works best! We find the tape normally always gives before plate as it tends to be softer.
The plates are normally left in the water for a few minutes. The theory behind it is that with the plate being a soft (ish) polmer it will swell out most of a small crease (like putting and iron over a wet cloth on scratched wood).
We run a large amount of sheeting and a lot of the time run screen and solid. To get enough pressure on the solid we tend to find it fills in the screen. We now cut out the solid image from the print substrate and put that behind the solid image area on the plate. This means we can run on kiss impression giving a perfect screen but have more than enough impression on the solid.
flexo.uk

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:33 am

Hi Flexo.Uk,

Thanks for elaborating on your earlier post. Your explanations are "bang on the money"! and very helpful.
A thoughtful post.

Your cool Flexo.UK : )
Gorilla Printer

Postby nodder » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Not sure if it will work on them dang splices but i have used a bic lighter to pull creases out of plate run the flame over back of plate to heat it but not long enough to burn back. Works great on creases.
nodder

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Nice tip there Nodder.Will do

Gorilla Printer

Postby john fisher » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 am

If the damage is purely a low spot holding a clean cloth over your finger and then soak in ethyl acetate / N P Acetate, slowly dab or very softly work on the low area for 5 minutes, ensuring the cloth remains wet but not dripping or running to other areas of the plate will swell the effected area enough in some cases enough to complete the run. Based upon the result of the next run up you will see an improvement, however if still slightly low repeat the process. This obviously shouldnt be used on screens and I would strongly advise that even if it completes the job renew the plate for future runs. I would also say this is last chance saloon and would not condone this as good working practice on a daily basis i.e. if it is down to low spots due to tape, cylinders, sleeves etc, then treat the cause not the plate.
john fisher

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:29 am

Hi John,

Sorry about not replying sooner.
How would you know when to pack the low spot or do your method?
Gorilla Printer

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:42 pm

This worked well with rubber. I have "patched" a small hole with MEK, using a Q-Tip. Any damage other than a very small defect, remake the plate.
cheapthrills

Postby exflexo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

MEK in might do the trick for a pin-hole or scratch.. but not much more. I've put MEK in a hypodermic needle and injected it into a pin-hole and it seemed to swell it some.. but it is wildy unpredictable.. so not really recommended. And putting a plate in hot water in an attempt to make it swell is a placebo at best... photopolymer in it's cured form is unaffected by hot water. The only thing that boiling a plate in hot water may do is cause it to start delaminating. Anything else is wishful thinking.
exflexo

Next

Return to Pressroom