Ink on Direct Thermal Paper

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Ink on Direct Thermal Paper

Postby ely » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 pm

If anyone can please help me.....
I have a problem with printing water base ink on coated and on non-coated Direct Thermal Paper. When coming across water the ink gets faded. Varnish is not an option for me. I have already tried ink form Actega Wit the thermal and performa system but that is getting faded. If anyone has any experience with this type of face stock with water base ink I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thank You,
Ely
ely

Re: Ink on Direct Thermal Paper

Postby dkelley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 am

You can try DRIII inks from Environmental inks and coatings
dkelley

Postby ely » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:34 pm

dkelley wrote:You can try DRIII inks from Environmental inks and coatings

Did you used that on DT paper
ely

Postby dkelley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm

We have used the DRIII system on many different substrates including direct thermal paper. The DRIII can be difficult to work with but it is almost bullet proof.
Another suggestion would be to contact your ink supplier and ask for there recommendation
dkelley

Postby ely » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm

We have spoken to our ink supplier and they dont have any solution other then using varnish that is not an opption for us
ely

Postby inkman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:48 am

I'm sorry ely, but I cannot understand what the problem is. Are the inks printing weak?
inkman

Postby ely » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 am

The problem is not this the print looks very nice just When coming across water or oil the ink (image) gets faded
ely

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

I believe Ely is trying to say the ink is not water resistant. If it needs to be oil resistant also, UV is best bet. Solvent ink is water resistant but not oil.
cheapthrills

Postby ely » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:48 pm

In other words do any one know a water base ink that is water resistant on top coated and on non-coated Direct Thermal Paper
ely

Postby inkman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:45 pm

ely,

Your current ink supplier should be able to give you a water-based ink that is water resistant. The problem may not be with the ink. Direct thermal coatings, both the dye based coating and the overprint (if used), are typically formulated in polyvinyl alcohol resins. Those resins, by themselves, have very good water solubility, and therefore, poor water resistance. Without printing a water resistant primer coating over the direct thermal layer, or its overprinted coating, it is doubtful that you will be able to develop water resistance in your ink. I'm thinking the theory is that if water gets on direct thermal paper, it will ruin the paper itself, anyway. Care must be taken, if you decide to print a primer, that there is nothing in the primer (e.g. glycol ether, alcohol, or amine) that will dissolve the thermal dye and change the color of the paper.

Even though cross-linkers are often added to thermal top coats on the paper (as supplied) to impart heat and water resistance, the cross-linking mechanism is not strong enough to make the coating bullet proof.

Also, understand that the Performa ink system is formulated to have really good open-time and some re-solubility on your press for finer line aniloxes and slow press speeds. If you were to run an ink with significantly better water resistance, it is likely you would tend to print dirty and would find it necessary to clean plates and aniloxes more frequently.
inkman

Postby Ken1973 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Resisting moisture is relative to the variables involved. First stock. If the integrity of the base sheet is such that the coating will not resist moisture than the in will not as well. Performa ink will not resist moisture. It is a pH stable paper ink that also does not have the proper heat resistance properties for themal applications. Thermal III and thermal IV are the Actega WIT systems (formally water in technologies) that are designed for direct thermal applications. They are similar, with Thermal IV having a bit better moisture resistancy than Thermal III. The use of DMEA in these inks will also ruin the inks ability to develop moisture resistancy. If it is necessary to refresh ink an ammonia water blend must be used. In some cases catalyst can help an ink become more water resistant. The key here is how much exposer this label will see. The need for a varnish, in many cases is due to moisture attacking the stock and getting behind the printed ink film. If that happens there probably is not an ink on the market that could resist this. In this case it is important that you contact your local sales rep. and provide some material and the moisture spec. and allow Actega WIT to work on this in the lab, that way they can make the proper recommendation. Your local tech. service Rep. can perform this work in the local branch.
Ken1973

Postby inkroom » Wed May 25, 2011 11:40 am

Hi all

too print on direct thermal try flint inks thermo kett inks with 4 to 5% thermal additive i have used that very well for direct thermal wrist bands that go into water as long as the material your printing on hoilds up the image will also
inkroom

Postby ely » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:41 am

Hi Mr. inkroom
From which manufacturer did you get the thermal additive and what's the product number? Also, why is it necessary to add thermal additives to the ink?
ely

Postby cqonajrne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Great! Thank You!!
I wanna try this! Can you tell me if this stuff is a one time use? Meaning is the ink contaminated after adding this thermal additive?
Are we able to put back in bottle and store on shelf and reuse after adding this additive?
Do you recommend a particular supplier for this additive? Have you found one works better over another?
Thanks Again ;)
cqonajrne

Postby dants » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm

direct thermal inks using pigments (vs. dyes) and non PVA resin are available that have very good water resistance (not oil) - trick is to minimize total solids in a way that will not foul 'print' heads
dants

Return to Pressroom