Putting together a mounter room/department

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

ThePressMan

Putting together a mounter room/department

Post by ThePressMan »

Been in print industry for 18+ years, most as an operator of CI flexo presses but have also operated in-line as well. Currently serving as press dept manager. We recently installed a 10-color CI flexo press and semi-automatic mounter from Allstein in our pressroom. We focused heavily on the new press the past 6-8 months.

Now that it’s up & running wide open, we’re having workflow issues at the mounter. We’re new to the mounter process, before adding the new mounter, we had a manual mounter for 1 & 2 color jobs and we had a plate supplier that we paid to also mount plates for us. So we’re struggling at the mounter now that the Germans who installed it are gone.

So my question is: how are most plate mounter departments set up? As far as equipment/tools needed to support the process? How do most store plates and sleeves? How much tabletop and work space is needed? I’d like to 5s/Gemba this area but right now, don’t have the time to do so. Any thoughts or suggestions from my fellow pressroom dwellers would be greatly appreciated.
longtimefan

Re: Putting together a mounter room/department

Post by longtimefan »

Wide web plates

Carboard sheet with score in middle. Can be bought this way

Fold Carboard in half and tape edges as you see.

Use the foam as beginning and ending of a "book" and all your plates are the pages. Use the foam to make more pages
IMG_1609.jpeg
IMG_1609.jpeg (694.85 KiB) Viewed 954 times
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

Need pictures of your area

But mount tape on a rack left in boxes.
IMG_1610.png
IMG_1610.png (2.12 MiB) Viewed 952 times
ThePressMan

Post by ThePressMan »

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and for sharing pictures of your work area. I like the way you have it setup to store your flats…looks like an easy enough way to do it and one that I hadn’t thought of. We run a lot of 4-8 color, 4-8 lane, repeats up to 33.5” jobs so I’ll have to see how well it work for jobs with 50+ plates and let you know. I’ll try to send pics to you of the mounter room.

How do you store/keep tools needed to mount? Also, how do you guys apply plate tapes/sticky back tape? What brand do you prefer? We preferred ChannelBac but it’s been discontinued so we’re trialing anything out there and using Lohman most of the time.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

Tesa tape for us.

Depends on mounter for applying plates and tape
ThePressMan

Post by ThePressMan »

I’ll have to look into TESA tapes. The cost is basically the same as 3M so I felt like if I’m paying that much, mind as well get 3M.

As far as mounter, it’s an automatic mounter that came with the new Allstein CI press. It was a combo deal. I’ve only used manual, self align mounters prior to this one so I don’t know if my answer helps out any.
Gorilla Printer

Post by Gorilla Printer »

We have shelving like the example but use slim cardboard boxes sitting on top of each other. Don't quote me as I'm at home ,they could be around about two inches in height. These boxes are also long/wide enough to fit all plates needed for most single sided jobs.Thin layers of foam are also added between the plates. If the job is double-sided there will be another box for the backside plates.

We have 2 dedicated rooms with racks for plate storage. Each storage area on the rack is identified by rack/bin/aisle number/letter. Boxes don't necessarily go back to the same place. They go to where space is available and sits on top of the rest of the boxes in the bin. This is logged into a live catalogue. To keep things in order, plate boxes have purposefully only been identified by the first plate number layed down for the print on the job..(usually the white plate) . If it's double-sided then that box will have it's first plate number laid down as the identifier.

Regarding tesa/3m tapes they are relatively the same in quality. Use the one that you get the best deal with.

Since we went to this system of only identifying boxes with a plate number only and not the job title .We never have random plates missing or showing up in the wrong box.
Hope this helps

Gorilla.
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

ThePressMan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:25 pm I’ll have to look into TESA tapes. The cost is basically the same as 3M so I felt like if I’m paying that much, mind as well get 3M.

As far as mounter, it’s an automatic mounter that came with the new Allstein CI press. It was a combo deal. I’ve only used manual, self align mounters prior to this one so I don’t know if my answer helps out any.
Tesa gives you 6 more sq yards per roll