Odd setup

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Del8oy

Odd setup

Post by Del8oy »

Hi guys.
I’m having a bit of trouble understanding the setup of this small, basic, narrow web label press.
The cylinder sits on top with the impression roller on the right and anilox on the left. So like a triangle.
The impression adjustment is on top and movers the cylinder up and down so I’m guessing if I wind down it’s going on with the impression and the inker.
The anilox adjuster is forward of the unit and actually moves the cylinder onto or off of the anilox ( the actual anilox does not move)
Sooo.
If I if I take impression off it also must take inker off… put impression on it must put inker on.

If I put impression on does it follow that I must take inker off ??
If I take inker off, by moving the print cylinder away from the anilox then that must at the same time move the cylinder towards the impression rollers so does it follow that it’s increasing the impression ??

I just find it weird that a one affects the other.
Do I just keep going impression on, inker off, impression on, inker off

Hope you understand my rambling.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Re: Odd setup

Post by Frank Burgos »

You have described a typical setup of a press like a Mark Andy 2200, and a few others. I absolutely hate that configuration.

I started in wide web, where the arrangement was more linear, and you could adjust plate-to-substrate and anilox-to-plate independently. When I first saw one of these narrow web setups, I just couldn't understand why they designed it that way and I still don't understand why and I refuse to like it.

So, there. I join your rant.

Have a nice day!
Del8oy

Post by Del8oy »

Haha that’s funny Frank, I was a wide web C.I Flexo printer for 30+ years and just started in narrow web.
I’m glad it’s not just me that finds it odd.
I just don’t get it.
Does it sound right how I’m trying to set it ? I some times feel like I’m going round in circles
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

It sounds right, to me.

I have scratched my head to develop a technique that I could also teach, but I haven't. At the end of the day, I tell folks that "this is how this works and it's up to you to develop a technique that ensures minimum anilox-to-plate and plate-to-substrate. That's the goal." Then I privately tell myself that "I'm glad I don't have to set impression on that thing. I'd never be sure I got it right."

I feel your pain.
Del8oy

Post by Del8oy »

Thank you very much for your replies Frank, much appreciated.
I feel a bit better now knowing It’s a rubbish system rather than a rubbish operator :smile:
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

It is hard to figure out at 1st.

But if you use a tint block sleeve or flood coated plate and play around with it, you can get the hang of it
Del8oy

Post by Del8oy »

Thank you for your reply longtimefan.
Just a quick question.
Am I right in thinking the top adjustments are the inker and the ones lower down are the impression ?
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

One thing I do with those presses, when I think I've gotten the adjustments all messed up, is I take a mounted cylinder and, with the press stopped, the anilox not rotating, and the station in print position, I place the mounted cylinder where it goes but do not put in the shaft, yet. Then, I make the adjustments, looking through the holes in the shaft-holding adjusters, and line up the holes. When the shaft can slide through both sides without resistance, I've calibrated the station and, from there, minor adjustments will make for good impression setting.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

Frank Burgos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am One thing I do with those presses, when I think I've gotten the adjustments all messed up, is I take a mounted cylinder and, with the press stopped, the anilox not rotating, and the station in print position, I place the mounted cylinder where it goes but do not put in the shaft, yet. Then, I make the adjustments, looking through the holes in the shaft-holding adjusters, and line up the holes. When the shaft can slide through both sides without resistance, I've calibrated the station and, from there, minor adjustments will make for good impression setting.
Beautiful!!

I have done that but forgot since it has been so long
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

I forgot, too! Until I remembered :)
Injinnius

Post by Injinnius »

I can't speak to the presses by every manufacturer, but the inline presses by Mark Andy (2200, 4150, etc.) aren't that bad to adjust.
The top knobs are the ink adjustment, and move the cylinder up and down ... closer or farther from both the material and the anilox.
The impression adjustment knobs are pointed along the length of the press, and move the cylinder closer or farther from the material.
The thing that confuses most press operators is thinking that the impression adjustment moves the cylinder back and forth between the anilox and the material ... shifting the cylinder side-to-side. That's not how it works.
With no cylinder or pin in the station, if you push on the ink adjustment knob to move the side adjustment plate, you'll see that it doesn't move side-to-side ... it pivots. And the adjustment arm pivots around a specific point, namely the bearing cups for the anilox roll. So using the impression adjustment knobs pivots the cylinder around the anilox roll, and shouldn't affect the ink setting.
I'm a tech, not a printer, so I'm not as experienced as most of the guys here. But an old-time printer taught me years ago how to do an easy setup on a Mark Andy 2200 press.
When the pin in the circle on the adjustment arm is in the center, the cylinder should be even between the material and the anilox roll. (Nothing's perfect!). Then take the impression adjustment knobs back (away from the material) 1/2 to 1 turn. Put the station in print, and start the press. Using the ink adjustment knobs, bring the cylinder down. It should touch the anilox before making contact with the material. Adjust it for an even ink pickup across the plate. Then use the impression adjustment knobs to move the cylinder onto the material, just until you get a nice even print.
That should be a good print adjustment.
Del8oy

Post by Del8oy »

Thank you all so much for your lengthy replies, very much appreciated.