Deep Die Cuts

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Aiden Cunha

Deep Die Cuts

Post by Aiden Cunha »

Recently our company has had a few too many rejections from customers due to deep cuts. We check all of our die strikes with large shaprie markers, but it doesnt seem to be enough. Most of our issues are coming off of a Mark Andy digital HD with a semi rotary die cutting. Anvils and dies are cleaned and inspected multiple times a day, and the problems persist. Wondering what other people are using to check die strike, or any ideas to relieve this problem.
-Aiden
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Re: Deep Die Cuts

Post by Frank Burgos »

Keeping the anvil clean was my first thought but you got that.

Something that occurs to me is variation of depth of cut. If depth is varying, I'd investigate die pressure and die-station rigidity. Consistent cut depth requires a robust setup and no movement. Check bushing, bearings, etc.
Justin Miller

Post by Justin Miller »

Also keep an eye on the liner thickness and web tension if you are running a poly liner.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

I get the color test but do you do hand pills.off the roll?

I've caught more by pull tight on the tail on the top of a roll

Ckeck for run out on anil and other areas. Maybe find some issues?

Rotory die or magnetic dies?
Aiden Cunha

Post by Aiden Cunha »

Its all magnetic dies. I went in and everything seems very solid, no movement. Maybe doing pull tight tests will help will help expose more, we dont really do that much
Justin Miller

Post by Justin Miller »

See if the issue has a pattern. Does it match the repeat or revolution of the anvil or die? A pattern will be easier to track the issue. If it is intermittent one is a little more difficult.