Opaque white.....

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Labelcowboy

Opaque white.....

Post by Labelcowboy »

Hey guys, been a while since ive run any Health & Beauty labels on clear film and the last time i still had a stork silk screen unit on my press. We are trying to run it all flexo and without seperating the screen and solid is there a ink/anilox combo that any of you are using with success? Im trying to find something that gives us really good opacity while still allowing me to keep a coarse screen open (screen counts are 85, 100, 133 & 150).
Hey Frank, Is there where a channeled anilox would help? Look forward to your help guys.
Andy.Walker

Re: Opaque white.....

Post by Andy.Walker »

Do you have the option to run white in two flexo units? Most shops i've seen double hit the UPC block. You could double hit your solids and single hit your vingettes.

This is where APEX claims that their anilox will work well, while we have a few, I have not personally been involved in any trials specifically related to this topic.
Labelcowboy

Post by Labelcowboy »

Thanks Andy, i do have that option, and in the past that is what was done.....i was kinda hoping that the technoligy had helped us improve on that. I do really appreciate all suggestions though.
Please keep em coming!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

Hi LabelCowboy,

We ran some trials on white and metallic silver a while back that had halftone images. The results were pretty impressive, but not perfect.

I may have some samples left. If you PM me an address, I'll send you one with some notes.

have a great weekend, guys!

Frank
darrenokeffee

Post by darrenokeffee »

L.C how standoutish do you need it to be andy is right you may need to double tap it to get good coverage,our polish plant does a lot of work on fasson clear p.e so don't know if it'll work on film and when talking to them this week they use ivory then op white or vise/versa can't remember which way he said to create a really clean crisp white goes on glass so has to be a clean white like andys double, tap but when were running white on 4200 doing film we Corona treat film and run white using mid range roller to stop to much dilution of colours further up press,on 2500 doing food work on silver vac we carry it heavy same with car stickers,when running on 2200 carry it on heavy roller 300 but have to carry rest of colous heavy to compensate for ink found fasson best but can be bitch to strip,on f3000 had to screen print[stork] on vodka labels on both silver vac and clear p.e.all inks uv all 100% and all akzo-flint know your printing film but that covers our range of op white printing.D
flexo.uk

Post by flexo.uk »

Sericol SuperNova white is very good. A very, very small amount of violet added into white can help with it looking "bright". You can get some great anilox's these days for heavy hits. A few years back it was all about large volume aniloxs, the issue was you couldn't fully evacuate the cells. You can now get lower volume aniloxs that have better transfer values. Look for a roller similar to those used on litho coaters.
The issue with running screen and solid is no matter how course the screen you will suffer from dop dipping on high volume/channel linked aniloxs. You can get almost silk screen print results these days but couldn't keep the screen image on the same plate as the solid. The best bet would be the double hit, first lower volume/standard anilox for the screen/solid, and then heavy hit with the solid image on its own.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

hello cowboy
we had the same thing with a label we changed
from s/s to flexo we bought a how annlox vol 24 another vol 32 it
had a solid print with fine lines we used hi dense white laid the plate
on the hardest tape when we ran 20-30 m/min it wasnt great but
when u ran 60 to 90 m/min it was very good we saved afortune
on ink used at least half the amount of ink and doubeled the speed
of the press win win