Printing on cold foil

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

csn7203

Printing on cold foil

Post by csn7203 »

We are laying down a fairly larger reverse of cold foil and are laying down two different hits of white along with 4cp and a small area of tactile and the rest covered by a matte varnish. We are being asked to perform a tape test on this label and of course everything comes off. I have never had a successful outcome doing a tape test with print on top of foil.
Does anyone have a recommendation? The Foil we are using comes from Kurz. Just looking for some advice.
PS this is on a gallus ECS 340, the two hits of white are on a 360 and 250 for opacity. We feel going to a higher line anilox will mute what the customer wants.
Thanks
Craig N.
Fuzz

Re: Printing on cold foil

Post by Fuzz »

I have experienced this and solved it with a primer on top of the foil.
csn7203

Post by csn7203 »

Yes we have tried that as well with the same results. I think at this point we are going to try and hit the graphics and remove most of the foil. I do not recall the tape test ever being done on foil. I can peel the tape of with great results but everyone else rips it off. I dont understand why that is the standard they use. Our rub test passes as well as rubbing the product on the label itself. It is turning out to be quite the ordeal.
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I hear ya brother. Good luck.
flexouk

Post by flexouk »

The good old tape test! One person pulls it off and its perfect, the other pulls it off another way and it all fails. There are some tape test applicators that are supposed to apply and remove the tape with the same strength/force to avoid this. I think the three options when you have a test test on print over foil are:
1. Get a foil designed to be over printed (there was a lot of work on these a few years back).
2. Primer over the foil to give you a much higher adhesion bond, there are some really good ones out there
3. For the over varnish get a siliconnised version. As long as the customer doesn't need to over print the varnish this will get you around the tape test