HOT STAMP VS COLD STAMP

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

BLUNTBRAD

HOT STAMP VS COLD STAMP

Post by BLUNTBRAD »

When people say cold stamp, is almost as high quality as hot stamp, what does that mean? Could someone change to that process, after previously doing the labels in hot stamp, without a customer noticing? I would like to here opinions on the difference.
Andy.Walker

Re: HOT STAMP VS COLD STAMP

Post by Andy.Walker »

Changing anything without telling the customer is always a risky move.

You're best bet would be to do some internal testing. Do you have to purchase equipment? Even if you don't change current items, you can create samples to show your customers for redesigns down the road. You can show them a cost savings while still increasing your margins. No tooling, no heating and cooling, and quicker run speeds. It's possible, but there is a steep learning curve as well.
BLUNTBRAD

Post by BLUNTBRAD »

Well thanks for that. Do you think if I didnt have to buy anything to do the testing myself I would have came here just looking for others opinions? Of course, I need to buy stuff. Thanks for letting me know its never good to change something without the customer knowing. I was looking for opinions, to see if this is somthing I might want to move forward on, to do testing. I got nothing from that response.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

I don't have enough experience with cold foil to opine, but when I think of cold foil, I think of Mike Rivera. If you get to a point where you'd like to speak to someone with cold foil experience, or a source, he may be someone you'd like to contact. The contact information below is published in the contact section of www.coldfoil.com. He wrote a book called Coild Foil for Dummies.

J Michael Rivera
Vice President
Cold Foil Business Unit
Sarasota, FL
Phone: 215.872.3982
MichaelRivera@klaser-usa.com
Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Could you change a hot foil job to a cold foil job and satisfy your customers? Absolutely!

As with everything in this business, there are a ton of variables. My experiance says it depends a lot on the image you want to reproduce, also,the color of the foil you want to use, what substrate, what adhesive you pick, condition of your UV bulbs and reflectors, and your unwind, rewind and nip system.

If you are not cold foiling now. You should be, you'll like it. When everything comes together,it's as good as hot foiling...cheaper and easier!

And Frank is correct...If you need info talk with Mike Rivera at K-Laser.
RichZX11

Post by RichZX11 »

Agreed - Mike Rivera is the man for cold foil...
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

cold foil is much easer depnds on the the material allways works better
with a primer tends to stop ink absorbsion in to material ie cold foil
adesive we have done it a lot client never complains altough its always
close to hot foil you have yo use the right techers